- M. Sc. 1973 (Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology)
- PhD. 1979 (Physics Institute of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, Riga)
Prof. Zolotoyabko emigrated from the USSR and joined the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at Technion-israel Institute of Technology in 1990 as a senior research associate. In the USSR, he worked as a senior scientist at the nuclear reactor of the Physics Institute of the Latvian Academy of Sciences in Riga, developing new diffraction techniques and applying them for studying structure and collective excitations in crystals. In 1991 Prof. Zolotoyabko began to teach at Technion and in 1993 was appointed Faculty member. Full Professor since 2003. His scientific activity is focused on diffraction physics and development of novel diffraction techniques for synchrotron beam lines, application of synchrotron radiation to materials science, X-ray interaction with acoustic waves, atomic and nano-structure of materials, especially, biomaterials and interrelation with their mechanical properties. Scientific accomplishments include: direct wave summation method in X-ray diffraction simulations; development of Mössbauer diffraction for studying inelastic scattering in crystals at phase transitions; fast stroboscopic X-ray diffraction and imaging techniques for studying crystal dynamics on a nanosecond scale; energy-variable X-ray diffraction for microstructural characterization with sub-micron spatial resolution; measurement of the speed of X-rays; discovery of anisotropic lattice distortions in biocomposites grown by living organisms. Published more than 170 papers in scientific journals, three books, and four book chapters.
In 1999-2000, he spent a sabbatical year at Northwestern University (Evanston, USA) and Argonne National Laboratory (Argonne, USA). In years 2010 and 2014-2016, he was visiting professor in the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces (Potsdam-Golm, Germany).
- Zolotoyabko. Extended kinematic approach to the simulation of high-resolution x-ray diffraction spectra. J. Appl. Cryst. 31, 241 (1998).
- Zolotoyabko, J. P. Quintana. Measurement of the speed of x-rays. J. Synchr. Radiation 9, 60 (2002).
- Zolotoyabko, J. P. Quintana. Non-destructive microstructural analysis with depth resolution: application to seashells. J. Appl. Cryst. 35, 594 (2002).
- Zolotoyabko, J. P. Quintana, B. H. Hoerman, B. W. Wessels. Time-resolved x-ray diffraction in BaTiO3 films subjected to a strong high-frequency electric field. Appl. Phys. Lett. 80, 3159 (2002).
- Shilo, E. Zolotoyabko. Stroboscopic x-ray imaging of vibrating dislocations excited by 0.58 GHz phonons. Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 115506 (2003).
- Zolotoyabko, B. Pokroy, J. P. Quintana. Depth-resolved strain measurements in polycrystalline materials by energy-variable x-ray diffraction. J. Synchr. Radiation 11, 309 (2004).
- Pokroy, J. P. Quintana, E. N. Caspi, A. Berner, E. Zolotoyabko. Anisotropic lattice distortions in biogenic aragonite. Nature Mater.3, 902 (2004).
- Pokroy, A. N. Fitch, E. Zolotoyabko. The microstructure of biogenic calcite: a view by high-resolution synchrotron powder diffraction. Adv. Mater. 18, 2363 (2006).
- Zolotoyabko, B. Pokroy. Biomineralization of calcium carbonate: structural aspects. CrystEngComm. 9, 1156 (2007).
- Zolotoyabko. Determination of the degree of preferred orientation within the March-Dollase approach. J. Appl. Cryst. 42, 513 (2009).
- Moshe-Drezner, D. Shilo, A. Dorogoy, E. Zolotoyabko. Nanometer-scale mapping of elastic modules in biogenic composites: the nacre of mollusk shells. Adv. Funct. Mater. 20, 2723 (2010).
- Ashuach, Y. Kauffmann, D. Isheim, Y. Amouyal, D. N. Seidman, E. Zolotoyabko. Atomic intermixing in short-period InAs/GaSb superlattices. Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 241604 (2012).
- Younis, Y. Kauffmann, L. Bloch, E. Zolotoyabko. Inhomogeneity of nacre lamellae on the nanometer length scale. Cryst. Growth & Design12, 4574 (2012).
- Zlotnikov, P. Werner, H. Blumtritt, A. Graff, Y. Dauphin, E. Zolotoyabko, P. Fratzl. A perfectly periodic three-dimensional protein/silica mesoporous structure produced by an organism. Adv. Mater. 26, 1682 (2014).
- Zlotnikov, P. Fratzl, E. Zolotoyabko. Nanoscale elastic modulus mapping revisited: the concept of effective mass. J. Appl. Phys. 116, 114308 (2014).
- Zlotnikov, P. Werner, P. Fratzl, E. Zolotoyabko. Dislocation-induced Eshelby twist in a perfectly ordered protein/silica structure grown by a simple organism. Small 11, 5636 (2015).
- J.-B. Forien, I. Zizak, C. Fleck, A. Petersen, P. Fratzl, E. Zolotoyabko, P. Zaslansky. Water-mediated collagen and mineral nanoparticle interactions guide functional deformation of human tooth dentin. Chem. Mater. 28, 3416 (2016).
- V. Serrano, H. Leemreize, B. Bar-On, F. G. Barth, P. Fratzl, E. Zolotoyabko, Y. Politi. Ordering of protein and water molecules at their interfaces with chitin nano-crystals. J. Struct. Biol. 193, 124 (2016).
- V. Schoeppler, E. Reich, J. Vacelet, M. Rosenthal, A. Pacureanu, A. Rack, P. Zaslansky, E. Zolotoyabko, I. Zlotnikov. Shaping highly regular glass architectures: a lesson from nature. Science Advances 3, eaao2047 (2017).
- Zolotoyabko. Anisotropic lattice distortions in biogenic minerals originating from strong atomic interactions at organic/inorganic interfaces. Adv. Mater. Interfaces 4, 1600189 (2017).
- Zlotnikov, E. Zolotoyabko, P. Fratzl. Nano-scale modulus mapping of biological composite materials: Theory and practice. Progr. Mater. Sci. 87, 292 (2017).
- Zolotoyabko. Effect of the solid/liquid interface structure on X-ray diffraction in nano-bio-composites. J. Appl. Cryst. 51, 849 (2018).
- Zolotoyabko and E. Iolin. Coherent Rayleigh Scattering of Mössbauer Radiation. Zinatne, Riga, 1986.
- Zolotoyabko. Basic Concepts of Crystallography. Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2011.
- Zolotoyabko. Basic Concepts of X-Ray Diffraction. Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2014.
Diffraction Physics: High-Resolution X-Ray Diffraction, X-Ray Diffraction Imaging and Mapping, Fast Time-Resolved X-Ray Diffraction, Energy-Variable Diffraction; Synchrotron Radiation in Materials Science: Visualization of Acoustic Wave Fronts in Single Crystals, Domain Dynamics in Ferroelectric Films, Structure Characterization with High Depth Resolution; Atomic Structure and Microstructure of Materials: Structure and Defects in Thin Films, Multilayers and Superlattices, Atomic Structure and Nano/Micro-Structure of Biogenic Crystals Produced by Organisms; Mechanical Properties of Nano-Bio-Composites.
- X-ray diffraction in short-period superlattices
- Structural characterization of thin dielectric films of oxide materials
- Lattice defects and strains in electronic and optoelectronic materials
- Atomic structure, nano-structure, and mechanical properties of natural bio-composites
- Energy-variable diffraction with high depth resolution
Faculty Dean (2004-2009)
Member of the Technion’s Standing Committee (2010-2014)
Abraham Tulin Academic Chair (since 2007)
Prize for Achievements in Physics and Engineering from the Latvian Academy of Sciences (1980, 1985)
Prize for Encouragement of Research from the Schlesinger Fund, Israeli Ministry of Sciences and Technology (1992)
The Henry Taub Prize for Excellence in Research (2001)
Certificate of Appreciation from the Minister of Aliyah and Immigrant Absorption in Recognition of Scientific Contribution and Service to High Education System in the State of Israel (2014)