Dr. Gang Ji
Unité Matériaux et Transformations, UMET CNRS UMR 8207,
Université de Lille, Villeneuve d’Ascq 59655, France
In global microelectronics industry, the driving force to develop highly thermal performance composite materials for heat sink applications stems from high temperature raised by continuously increased power density of (nano)chips. Synthetic diamond, due to its high thermal conductivity (TC) in the range 1500-2500 W/m K and low coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) of around 1·ppm/K, has become the ideal reinforcement phase for such a composite, in which the high TC and low CTE, being compatible with that of electronic components, are the first consideration. In this work, we have developed Al and Al12Si matrix composites reinforced with diamond particles by means of conventional powder metallurgy and emerging additive manufacturing techniques, i.e. vacuum hot pressing (VHP), spark plasma sintering (SPS) and selective laser melting (SLM). Microstructure characterization at length scales from the macro down to the nanoscale has been carried out in order to investigate presence of Al4C3 (i.e. an interfacial reaction product) in particular, and more generally the detailed diamond/Al interface assembly configurations by X-ray diffraction, scanning and (high-resolution) transmission electron microscopy. Despite very different physical and metallurgical mechanisms between VHP, SPS and SLM, we found that the diamond/Al interface can be tailored allowing to form a ‘clean’ diffusion-bonded interface at the micrometre scale in both VHP and SLM cases, being the most favourable for enhancing TC [1-8]. However, how to realize full densification during SLM remains a major technical problem to figure out.
- Zhanqiu Tan, Zhiqiang Li, Genlian Fan, Xizhou Kai, Gang Ji, Lanting Zhang, Di Zhang, Materials and Design, 47 (2013) 160-166.
- Zhanqiu Tan, Zhiqiang Li, Genlian Fan, Xizhou Kai, Gang Ji, Lanting Zhang, Di Zhang, Composites: Part B, 47 (2013) 173-180.
- Zhanqiu Tan, Zhiqiang Li, Ding-Bang Xiong, Genlian Fan, Gang Ji, Di Zhang, Materials and Design, 55 (2014) 257-262.
- Gang Ji, Zhanqiu Tan, Shabadi, R., Zhiqiang Li,Wolfgang Grünewald, Ahmed Addad, Dominique Schryvers, Di Zhang, Materials Characterization, 89 (2014) 132-137.
- Gang Ji, Zhanqiu Tan, Yinggang Lu, Dominique Schryvers, Zhiqiang Li, Di Zhang, Materials characterization, 112 (2016) 129-133.
- Zanqiu Tan, Dingbang Xiong, Genlian Fan, Zhizhong Chen, Qiang Guo, Che Guo, Gang Ji, Zhiqiang Li, Di Zhang, Journal of Materials Science 53 (2018) 6602-6612.
- Yu Ma, Gang Ji, Yuecao Chen, Xiaopeng Li, Zhanqiu Tan, Zhiqiang Li, Vincent Ji, Jean-Pierre Kruth, Materialia 20195 (2019) 100242.
- Ziyun Yu, Zhanqiu Tan, Run Xu, Gang Ji, Genlian Fan, Ding-Bang Xiong, Qiang Guo, Zhiqiang Li, Di Zhang, Carbon 146 (2019) 155-161.